Monday, January 20, 2014

Video. "I am not proud of my country" says young bright Singapore woman, leaves for Australia.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

A young Singapore woman tells you what's wrong with Singapore run by Lee Kuan Yew and Son and why she is leaving for good to Australia. Please see video below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydANJ5qLHG4

She describes Singapore  as a boring uninteresting robotic island, where everyone does as they are told and devoid of any creativity whatsoever.

This fortunate young woman is not the typical Singaporean because she had the good fortune of being brought up not in Singapore but in Australia and Taiwan, where people don't go about their lives as robots as they do in Singapore.

The average Singaporean is incapable of articulating her thoughts as this young woman can or even capable of thinking independently as she does.

A Singaporean is one like she describes who is incapable of expressing any independent opinion through fear of non compliance with the prevailing viewpoint at any one time, since any deviant viewpoint that was not expected may result in serious disadvantages; loss of career advancement, ostracizing by the majority, subjected to ridicule and contempt and even arrest.

Unlike Singaporeans of her age who are nothing but robots, she is, as you can see, a normal young woman as you would find in any other free democracy like Australia, US or Canada.

To young Singaporeans and their parents who read this post, my advice to you is to get out and leave for the West. The good roads and infra structure that you see in Singapore is good; but what is much more important is the need to grow up a normal thinking human being. This is something Singapore is incapable of providing.

Parents, you will be doing your children great harm by raising them in the Singaporean fear ridden environment. Most often sending them abroad after they are gown is usually too late. Too often, irreparable harm to their minds has already been done, leaving them incapable of competing with their peers who had the opportunity of living freely, without fear.

A Singaporean child is consumed daily with fear; fear of their parents, fear of failure, fear of their teachers, fear of not being recognized, fear of being left behind, fear fear and fear.

Gopalan Nair
Attorney at Law
A Singaporean in Exile
Fremont, California, USA
Tel: 510 491 8525
Email: nair.gopalan@yahoo.com

8 comments:

faithchoo126 said...

Well I did force myself to sit through the entire length of the video after seeing it sprout up everywhere on my newsfeed, and I would say I agree with only 1 point she made - I am not proud of my country (and hence want to get the hell outta here).

Her points were unfair generalisations criticizing very specific groups of people - not that I expected her to have a very well-formed argument given that the video was relatively impromptu - and certainly not representative of Singaporeans as a whole.

Hate the country, not the people. Stephanie needs to understand that we wouldn't have chosen to be born here, we're not all that privileged to have lived life overseas and we can't help but wait for our time to leave. If an American girl had been born and raised in Singapore, she could've turned out like the Singaporean that Stephanie generalised - a mute robot, too afraid to speak up. It's not a matter of what nationality you are, it's the country you're stuck in that shapes you, especially in the formative years.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across too strongly here, I'm just extremely incensed and still so frustrated about my current state of affairs (aka stuck in singapore). I'm into my second week in RI(JC) now, and to be honest I love the school more than I will ever love the country.

Will it be all right for me to contact you for advice regarding migration?

Thank you again for the article, Mr Nair!

Gopalan Nair said...

To Faithfooo who said,

"Hate the country, not the people. Stephanie needs to understand that we wouldn't have chosen to be born here, we're not all that privileged to have lived life overseas and we can't help but wait for our time to leave. If an American girl had been born and raised in Singapore, she could've turned out like the Singaporean that Stephanie generalized - a mute robot, too afraid to speak up. It's not a matter of what nationality you are, it's the country you're stuck in that shapes you, especially in the formative years".

You seem to have missed the point of the woman in the video. She is merely stating a fact of what she has observed, that most Singaporeans are small minded, not creative and unable to express themselves. This is an observation that I entirely agree with. And she is completely entitled to express it.

On the other hand, you are trying to justify that character attributing it to the life circumstances living under Lee Kuan Yew and son rather than one living in America.

These are two different things.

I am sure the noxious behavior of Singaporeans is not their fault just as the behavior of a North Korean citizen living under Kim Jong Aun. I nor the woman in the video is blaming the Singaporean for it. But both the video woman and I are merely stating a fact, that the average Singaporean is an uncouth uncivilized human being as compared to an American or Australian who have some class. That is all.

As for your intention to emigrate to the US, you are very welcome. I will do my best.

Irene Puah Siew Hoon said...

As a mother, I think Singapore is an awful place for children to grow up and, particularly, go to school, where they are indoctrinated to worship Lee, Lee & Ho.

Anonymous said...

The truth hurts doesn't it? Singapore is such a soulless country. It can't even hold a candle to poor countries in Latin America where you can live well.

I totally agree that Singaporeans are small minded, not creative and unable to express themselves. They are only focused on being a Doctor or Lawyer. Yes, Expats do very well in Singapore. If you are not an Expat, Singapore is not a place for you.

Singaporeans should leave ASAP even you can't afford it, you must leave! Why are Singaporeans taking all this crap?

Alzara Getz

Patrick Fu said...

As a man who has spent a greater part of his life taking all the crap in Singapore, I can say that I agree with all the comments, I wouldn't want my child growing up in Singapore and I sincerely encourage the commenter faith to leave while she's young.

Irene Puah Siew Hoon said...

Keep up the good work, Gopalan. Happy New Year.

Belinda said...

Love your posting, I was always a rebel in my work mates' eyes cos I speak my mind. I can never fit in cos what I commented is always rude when I was just stating the fact.
In my work place, I was always a fast learner and diligent and willing to work. Despite these qualities,I know I won't be promoted to be a sister(I am a nurse) cos what they expected from us is a robot programmed to say yes.
Thanks God I marry my husband who is a Tamil who spend 8 yrs studying In uk and sees me differently. Once we r married we moved out of sg and is happily settled in oz. love my life here. He being the minority in sg and his exposure thinks differently from most sg, we can see eye to eye in many matters.
I can understand the gal cos I always get into trouble for speaking my mind. Is not just the senior but also my friends who will also black list me as a rebel. They just want people to agree with what they think and do not allow others to think or act differently. .

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mr Nair

I agree with your sentiment. There are some people who deemed what Stephanie has said 'embarassing'. Well, I agree with her on most of the points that she highlighted. I am a creative myself(studied Fine Arts in one of the art schools here) and I can relate to her observations as well. Most people here are into finance, commerce because that's 'where the money's at'. Creativity is not encouraged but shunned. From my heart's eye also, I am able to perceive that most Singaporeans think highly of themselves. As someone who works in front line customer service, (I still harbor dreams of being an artist and am working towards that goal) you can only imagine how I perceive most Singaporeans. Keeping up with the Joneses is important here. I will not discuss in detail here but I think you know what I'm referring to.

I am 24 years young and I am a positive person. I do notice back then when I was in my teens that in public places, most people (almost) dislike it if you have a smile on your face. So these days I put on a poker face. Customer service is bland here. When I went to Auckland, their customer service would make small talk and comment on the stuff that I am buying. Like when I was in an op-shop, the lady said: 'I see you have found one of those (beautiful finds). In a beauty shop : 'Are these gifts for someone?' And I replied: it's for me, she joked: so they are gifts for yourself. Laughs*
Simple talk such as these shows that people there loved and take pride in what they do unlike here where a job is just a JOB (as what Stephanie has highlighted). There also people would make eye contact in the streets and smile at me for no particular reason. It made my day somehow those smiles. Do we have this in Singapore, an open friendliness? NO.

There are some small-minded Singaporeans who would complain and spread negativity but don't do anything to better themselves and secretly wish to see others fail.

I will pursue my dreams and bring my talents elsewhere in a country that loves creative people like me. :)