Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Adventure

Ladies and Gentlemen,

An appeal for donations
Ladies and Gentlemen,
As you are aware, my forced stay in Singapore for 6 months by the Singapore government by their holding my passport and preventing me to travel, has resulted in severe financial burden to me. I have to get my law practice back into swing and get all other small matters taken care of. I am therefore badly in need of financial assistance. Your donations at this time will be greatly appreciated.If you can donate, please send the moneys through Western Union which is available at any post office in Singapore. Same applies to those in other countries.Any amount will be appreciated.When sending the funds, please email me the reference number to nair.gopalan@yahoo.com. Payable to "Gopalan Nair". Many thanks
Gopalan Nair



Ladies and Gentlemen,

Can I share some stirring words with you. I had lunch today in Chinese restaurant and the fortune cookie had this

"the only people who never fail are those who never try"

While in Queenstown Prison Singapore for 60 days for writing a blog post in this blog, which the Lee Kuan Yew government calls insulting a judge, I read a novel, which name I forget which had this, of which I am guilty,

"self delusion is a pre-condition for any act of consequence".

Someone who died rounding Cape Horn in the BOC Round the World Single Handed Yacht Race, his name was Harry something, which I forget. He was washed off his deck trying to round the Horn in the Roaring Forties in 70 knot gale. His life line saftey harness snapped. The Chilean Navy tried to search but had to leave because they could not operate at night. The Australian navy came later. Harry was never found. His words,

"life should be one long adventure, or it is nothing"

When I look back at my ordeal in Singapore, it is true that at the time it was hard. But now when I revisit it in my mind, it was one of the greatest adventures of my life. And to come back to shambles in California and having to pick up from where I started, is another adventure.

You can say this again, my life has been a roller coaster. But you know what, I wouldn't have it any other way. I agree entirely with Harry.

Gopalan Nair
39737 Paseo Padre Parkway, Suite A1
Fremont, CA 94538, USA
Tel: 510 657 6107
Fax: 510 657 6914
Email: nair.gopalan@yahoo.com
Blog: http://singaporedissident.blogspot.com/

Your letters are welcome. We reserve the right to publish your letters. Please Email your letters to nair.gopalan@yahoo.com And if you like what I write, please tell your friends. You will be helping democracy by distributing this widely. This blog not only gives information, it dispels government propaganda put out by this dictatorial regime.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

you don't see mto be able to remember a lot of things.

Anonymous said...

i dun see how throwing expletives and behaving in a unruly manner helps in anything at all...

i know that there are probably many singaporeans out there who agree with your views but there are singaporeans like me who beg to differ...

you probably won't approve my comment. it does not matter to me. I just wanted you to know that i am a proud Singaporean and even though I do not agree with every thing that the govt does but on the whole, it is doing a good job...and you think US is such a great country? Look at the mess they are in now? i am not in total disagreement with you and i respect you as I accord respect to anyone else. But I wish you weren't so extreme.

Still, i hope you manage to build your life back in US pretty soon.

Gopalan Nair said...

To Anonymous,
Please tell me the expletives I had used?

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, what expletives? I've yet to read a single one on your blog. Anonymous needs to get out more. The searing no-holds barred profanity describing Lee's antics seen on many a Singapore-centric forum makes your blog a pussycat by comparison.

Anon is hoping that his use of the well-known tactic of condemning with faint praise goes unnoticed. A self-proclaimed proud Singaporean? No less proud to cower fearfully, complying in quiet desperation with the edict of an all-powerful Mafia, praying that the bell tolls for everyone else but him and his? That was always the way of the timid.

Anonymous said...

I have some quick comments.

1. Many distractors on your site do not get the point. If Singapore government is so correct, why don't they sue you in the US? Why don't they sue WSJ in the US, or even HK (now part of China)? Why don't they sue the IBA? The reason is obvious as they have zero chance of winning unless it is in a Singapore court.

2. If critizing the judiciary is illegal, it is like critizing the emperor has no clothes. Who knows? The child might just be right in saying that the emperor has no clothes.

3. Singapore govt has gotten so called confessions from many people under duress in Jail. Social workers in the 90's etc. I don't see that as being admission to wrong doing.

4. I suspect that GIC and Temasek are losing massive amount of taxpayers money. Harvard just announced that they expect losses of up to 30% in fiscal year. Without transparency, how is an average Singapore find out if the country is solvent? Why is it in the list of four countries receiving swap lines from the Fed?

Anonymous said...

Welcome back.
I hope you recuperate your financial losses in short order.
I was disappointed that the US State Dept did not make any fuss about your imprisonment (the charges were so ludicrous). I have a theory - they were originally going to keep you imprisoned much longer (there were still a few more charges they dropped right before deporting you). But because of the Obama win (and Democrats gain in the House), perhaps LKY and his son thought/know your continued imprisonment will not go down well with Obama administration, especially with Hillary as Sec. of State.
Keep blogging - I will certainly check back often. There are many S'poreans who feel the same but do not have a foreign citizenship (or have family commitments to stay) and hence are unable to speak their minds.

Anonymous said...

Sailing round the horn requres great spirit, skills and resources. To compare your ordeal in Singapore prison to that of the yachtsman, is to demean his feats. The prison is the safest place on earth, doesn't run aground, won't sink, no pirates, no injuries and plenty of food.
But I would rather go challenge the sea than take on LKY.

Anonymous said...

Besides the vibrant nightlife of singapore. The Arts and Entertainment Singapore has to offer is quite a lot too. Since I moved her 5 years ago, I must say I am pretty happy with the development in this area. Singaporeans aren't that stiff afterall.

Gopalan Nair said...

Certainly not comparing my ordeals to that of the round the world yachtsman. I admire his spirit and take inspiration from him. I dont see anything that even remotely suggesting a comparison. The English language is quite a precise one, I think.

Anonymous said...

Keep blogging!

It's good to listen to both sides of a story.

Seelan Palay said...

Good going Gopalan! All the best in rebuilding and thank you for all the times we shared here is this One Nation Under Lee!

We all have ups and downs in life but looking back, you're going to remember a life fully lived, something not many people in this world can claim.

With solidarity,
Seelan Palay

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr Nair,

I believe the Anon who talk about "i dun see how throwing expletives and behaving in a unruly manner helps in anything at all..." (Wed Dec 03, 11:56:00 AM PST) is referring to the strong language and "in-your-face" direct arguments.

A lot of Singaporeans are quite sensitive and uncomfortable about words used.

They are also unused to fiery speeches or writing.

Unfortunately, living in a country where I need to fight for my rights has given me a thick skin. kekeke

Wish you well.

Gopalan Nair said...

To Singapore Indian Voice,
Seelan Palay

Dear Seelan,
Thank you so very much for the kind words. Truly, your words give me great inspiration. It is words like these that keep a man going on in difficult times.

Thank you Seelan.
Gopalan Nair